Opinary has one mission: We help people make up their minds. Globally, millions of people use our polling technology to share their opinion, engage in open dialogue, and understand complex debates - all with one simple click. And, by harnessing the latest advances in Machine Learning, NLP, and distributed systems design, our platform ensures that readers get the right question at the right time.
With over 120 million monthly users, we’re one of the fastest-growing startups in the media space. You’ve probably used our tools yourself on publishers like The Times, Spiegel Online, NBC, Huffington Post, or the Independent.
As a Python Platform Engineer (m/f/d), your technical chops will directly impact today’s debates in the most relevant media outlets.
Who we’re looking for:
Sure, we need someone talented. But, most importantly, we are looking for someone who:
- has a firm grasp of the modern WEB.
- Has written production-grade Python code (Golang experience is a plus).
- Has worked in contemporary cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP.
- Is comfortable with designing and developing large distributed systems.
- Is familiar with the concepts of event-driven architectures.
- Has a general understanding of data engineering concepts (e.g. ETL pipelines, TF, ML)
- Has a strong analytical mindset and is numbers-driven.
- Has a solid understanding of effective engineering practices (TDD, XP, etc.).
- You develop software in a compliant and rigorous way while maximizing the value added to our stakeholders: users, brands & publishers.
- You take ownership of the existing codebase and design & implement new services.
- You maintain and monitor the live system, and you are responsible for the swift recovery in case of issues.
- You own the infrastructure (CI/CD, k8s clusters, services, etc.)
- You work in a close and trustful relationship with the founders, product and sales teams in a cross-discipline agile environment
- You had the chance to work in a team on a live project for at least three years as a Software Engineer.
- You approach the problems holistically, and you can make tradeoffs based on data.
- You value coding as your craft and understand that writing software is about solving technical problems - but equally important, something to be maintained and understood by your peers.
- You enjoy pair-programming with your colleagues.
- You had the opportunity to debug a live service, on live traffic, with live users.
- You are comfortable working with systems that process large amounts of data.
- You’re proactive and curious: always eager to learn new things and happy to share your knowledge with others.
- You owns challenges and don't back down or say, “that’s not my job.”
What we offer:
- We have a diverse and open culture from different professional and personal backgrounds. Our agile team provides the space to directly influence and impact our product positively.
- Growth and continuous learning: everyone at Opinary is encouraged to trust in experiments and personally grow - with a generous learning budget to help out
- We provide a flexible working environment. Choose your working hours, take unlimited work-from-home and holidays, and choose your preferred laptop.
Sounds great? Apply with one click!